As some of you already know Tytan went in for his G tube Surgery. We were in the Hospital for 10 very long days. He first went under for an endoscopy and to put in a ph probe. They were supposed to go in after the ph probe study (24 hours later) and have the surgeon install his G tube and his Nissen but they discovered he had severe Pneumonia. We had to wait a few days to get that under control before he could go under the knife for his surgery that I have been waiting so long for. The surgery went really well and I know it was all due to so many prayers and much fasting that truly made all of this go so well. I think the hardest thing in the world is to see your baby in so much pain and not be able to do anything for him, but I had to keep reminding myself that it was for his good and it can only get better from here on out. Since we've been home he is on a 24 hour a day tube hooked from an iv pole to his stomach. Chasing a 16 month old around a house with an iv pole all day is a lot of hard work. Keep in mind the tubing only allows for about a 2-3 foot lead between the two of us. Trust me I sleep very well at night. For those of you that don't know what a G tube is, its a feeding tube that goes directly into his stomach. So instead of my baby starving every day he is able to finally get the nutrition he needs without it hurting him or giving him Pneumonia again. A Nissen also called a Fundo Plication (I totally just murdered the spelling of that) is when the surgeon takes the top of his stomach and wraps part of it around itself and stitches it together so now Tytan won't be able to throw anything up any more. The crazy thing about that is now he has to burp through the hole in his stomach. I have to open the G tube once a day, hook up a special decompression tube and let him burp. It is totally crazy but I am so grateful for all of this. Just think to add to all of this I have a baby due in 7 weeks. Wow life is foing to be one big party soon!!!
Right after the Endoscopy and inserting the ph probe up his nose and into his stomach. He is still out cold from the procedures.
Close up of what the ph probe looks like. I didn't get a pic. of the small box that this tube is connected to. A ph Probe measures the amount of acid in his stomach and esophugus.
The hospital was awesome they must have felt bad that we were in the hospital over Thanksgiving so Tigger came to cheer all the kids up. Tytan was in love with Tigger. Look how tall my boy is. He is still in the 95th percent for height. If only we could get his weight up there too.
Picture of his stomach before surgery. Sad to know it will never look like this again. His belly button looks totaly different.
A little after surgery we had to let his stomach drain. I'm not sure why because he wasn't allowed to eat for 48 hours before. This is the same tube I use every time I burp him.
Hanging out at home hooked to our beloved IV pole. In the blue bag is all of his milk which runs through that pump then into his stomach.
Close up of his belly after surgery. The cut on the top middle is where they put in the Nissen. The two on the sides and his belly button are where they cut to put in the G tube. Obviously the large plastic/rubber thing sticking out of him is the G tube itself. His stomach looks a little bloated beacuse his stomach is getting used to all of this food. 
Super close up of the G tube. That piece is stuck on there all the time. I am just super paranoid he is going to pull it out.
Right after the Endoscopy and inserting the ph probe up his nose and into his stomach. He is still out cold from the procedures.
Close up of what the ph probe looks like. I didn't get a pic. of the small box that this tube is connected to. A ph Probe measures the amount of acid in his stomach and esophugus.
The hospital was awesome they must have felt bad that we were in the hospital over Thanksgiving so Tigger came to cheer all the kids up. Tytan was in love with Tigger. Look how tall my boy is. He is still in the 95th percent for height. If only we could get his weight up there too.
Picture of his stomach before surgery. Sad to know it will never look like this again. His belly button looks totaly different.
A little after surgery we had to let his stomach drain. I'm not sure why because he wasn't allowed to eat for 48 hours before. This is the same tube I use every time I burp him.
Hanging out at home hooked to our beloved IV pole. In the blue bag is all of his milk which runs through that pump then into his stomach.
Close up of his belly after surgery. The cut on the top middle is where they put in the Nissen. The two on the sides and his belly button are where they cut to put in the G tube. Obviously the large plastic/rubber thing sticking out of him is the G tube itself. His stomach looks a little bloated beacuse his stomach is getting used to all of this food. 
17 comments:
Oh my Gosh Meggan. I am so sorry for all of the stuff you have had to watch Tytan go through. It makes me feel so bad for you guys. It also sounds like you are handling things the best you could. I hope Tytan gets better! We drove by our old place a few weeks ago and were going to stop by but your cars wasn't there. Now I know why! You are in our prayers!! Get better Tytan!
Are there more surgeries after this? I'm so sad he has to endure so much at his age! You're a tough cookie too! Good luck with the recovery and with the upcoming delivery of baby #2! You'll be in our prayers!
That is the saddest thing. I am glad that he is on the road to recovery though. Baby number 2 will be a breeze after poor Tytan.
POOR BABY! But at least he can finally put on weight! Will he have it forever?? So do you guys put pediasure in the tube or regular milk?? If you still use pediasure you may be able to get it covered now by your insurance. When we looked into it for Kadence they said it would have been covered if she was tube fed. If they wont cover it and you need it my mom said they now carry it a Sams Club in a case. (go figure now that we dont use it anymore) Good luck with everything!
WOW! I feel overwhelmed just hearing about everything. I can't even imagine how you must feel. Atleast it is over with and like you said, It can only get better. And Tytan is still a stud! Your in our prayers! Seriously, If you need anything let me know!!
I am so sorry you guys have to go through this. Poor kid he is such a tropper. You all are. Let me know if you need anything.
ok so I saw the blog the other day and I couldn't post at the time. Since today is my blogging day I went here and I realize I don't like these pictures....my eyes get all teary-eyed and I have to look away and control my self so that I can type. I am so glad he is doing better and you guys are getting used to things but really you have handled everything AMAZINGLY!!! Give Tytan a hug and a kiss from us and go snuggle your love :)
I hope that Tytan is feeling alot better.
Hey Meggan you are very strong and good comes to the ones that over come speed bumps. This was one of yours and there will be sunshine over the rainbow. Keep strong and fight to the end.
That is so cool baby number 2. Love ya Skinny
poor guy!! My heart goes out to you all. You are in our prayers! He will be happy to have a baby brother and I am sure he will feel good just in time for his arrival!
Wow that's so crazy! I had no idea his digstion problems were that bad. You seem like you are doing really great with it all. Good luck with everything. I thought things were rough but wow it just pales in comparison to a sick baby.
Meggan, you are a good mom! That would be such a hard thing to go through. I am sure you'll be glad you guys had this surgery done for Tytan. At least now he will be getting all of the nutrients he needs. I hope he has a quick recovery!
Poor Tytan. Poor Peter. Poor YOU! What a hard thing for a family to go through. Keep us posted on his progress. I can't believe you're having a baby so soon. That went by fast. Probably not for YOU, though. :o) Merry Christmas!
Hey I forgot to leave my email on my other comment. I closed my blog so email me your address jkmeeks@cableone.net
hope your all doing better!
MEGGAN, I can't believe that! Poor little guy! Here I am worrying my girls will pull their earings out....I can't imagine having to worry about them pulling out that thing on Tytans tummy. So sad! You are such a good Mom though, I'm sure you are handling things well. You're in our thoughs and prayers for sure! Hang in there mama!
hey I hope everything is going okay! you're in our prayers! please let me know how things are going...
Happy New Year Meggan!
Post a Comment